Friday, October 10, 2008

Adobe Photoshop freezes when opening a file in OS X

Apparently this is a known issue in all versions of Photoshop, or so it said in the Adobe forums. If you are trying to open a file in Photoshop CS3 but the application freezes, it might be a simple fix. If you have a CD/DVD in the drive, eject it. Otherwise, is you have any USB drives attached to your machine, eject those. I thought it sounded like a stupid idea to fix the problem, but I was the stupid one when I ran out of options and had to try it. Wouldn't you know as soon as the DVD was ejected, Photoshop started working fine. I had the same problem happening in Photoshop CS2 on that machine, and after the DVD was ejected that started working correctly too. I think Adobe needs to solve that problem because having a disk in the drive shouldn't cause an application to completely freeze. This may be the same for Photoshop on Windows too, but I only have experience with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and CS3 on OS X, and I know that it solved the problem for both of them.

If you did run across the blurb while looking for help with Photoshop CS3 for Windows, one thing you might try is changing your default printer. I found quite a few entries when trying to solve this on a Mac that said it was caused by having a networked printer set as the default in Windows. If you change your default to be a local printer, the problem might go away. Again, I didn't actually try this, but it's something else you can attempt if you can't think of anything else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been plagued by this problem for 2 days on a G5 Mac OS10.4.11 with both CS2 and CS3. CDR from a vista PC in the drive. Removed it and hey presto. Put it back in and the same problem....WTF

Thanks for posting.