Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Can't save table design changes in SQL Server 2008

The default settings in SQL Server 2008 do not allow you to modify and save the design of a table if it requires that table be dropped and recreated. Instead, you'll get a nice error message that looks like this



This is nice if you don't want to accidentally change the design of a table, but I have a feeling most people that are in the SQL Management Studio application are using it for just that. The good news is this is easy to fix and only requires you to change one thing.

Within SQL Management Studio, go to Tools->Options->Designers->Table and Database Designers, then uncheck the box that says "Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation" and click OK. That's it, now you can change the design of your SQL table(s) and save them.


Thanks to vinodummy.com for pointing me in the right direction

12 comments:

Russell said...

Thanks for posting this.

rslygh said...

You're welcome. And to anyone reading these comments, no, I did not leave a comment to myself.

AmberCF said...

Thanks, Dude. You're awesome!

quynhntn said...

I had the same problem. Thanks for share.

Anonymous said...

This was frustrating the (*#&$@(*&#$ out of me. THANK YOU

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Thanks, You saved my Time and A......

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, that was really annoying to not be able to make any changes to the table design. Nice holiday gift you are for this community.

In Gratitude, Nina

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dude. You saved me a lot of work

Anonymous said...

I love a straight answer - thanks to you and google

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. This was very helpful. Robet Dube

Unknown said...

terima kasih teman :)
jazakallah khoiron

comuter engeneering said...

I want to save a new data diagram, How?
this way dose not work, when I am trying to save a new data diagram>
Please, can you help me :(