Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Generic IEEE 1284.4 error when installing an HP Laserjet 4240 on Windows Vista

If you're having problems installing an HP Laserjet 4240 on a Windows Vista computer, try using the PostScript driver from this location. Using the HP Universal Print driver didn't fix the Generic IEEE 1284.4 error I kept getting, but the PS version of the driver did. I know this is a short explanation and specific incident, but if you're running into a similar error with a different printer try a different driver.

This may also work for Windows 7, but I haven't had to try it yet. If you do, let me know whether it works or not.

2 comments:

Anony Mouse said...

I was having the same problem with Windows 7 SP1 x64 and the driver you mentioned didn't work for me. But then I thought I should try x64 PS driver which worked like a charm.

If I hadn't seen your post, I wouldn't have been able to resolve this. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for a driver solution for a model 4240N. The above post didn't work for me.